Want to load routes to your Garmin wirelessly? Set up the Garmin Courses sync option and you’ll be able to add routes to your device on-the-go.
Before exporting your routes, try to limit the name to 15 characters or less for TCX files or 21 characters or less for GPX files.
- Select TCX (for this example).
Other formats may be available by scrolling down.
- Click DOWNLOAD .TCX
- The downloaded file will be placed in your web browsers default location. Most users will find this in their “Downloads” folder on their computer.
- Plug in your Garmin device into your computer via USB.
- Drag & drop or copy & paste the downloaded file into the Garmin > Garmin > NewFiles folder.
- Eject the device from the Mac Finder by hitting the eject button next to the folder. On Windows, you can eject the device by right-clicking the folder and then click eject.
- Turn ON your Garmin and select your route to start navigating!
Get more specific info for your Garmin Device.
- TCX Course & FIT File:
- Great for use with all the Garmin Edge devices.
The “Notify Before Turn” setting is available for Premium and Basic subscribers.
“Reduce to 500 points” is for much older devices.
- GPX Track:
- Contains only the breadcrumb trail for use with other GPS devices.
DOES NOT CONTAIN CUSTOM CUES.
- Include POI As Waypoints?
- The routes Points of Interest will be displayed separately from the route and depending on your device will remain in memory.
- Include Cues as Waypoints?
- Only recommended for much older devices that do not have navigation functionality. We recommend this for the eTrex, Oregon, and Montana series.
- GPX Route:
- Contains only the cues, no track information.
- Cue Sheet CSV File:
- Contains ONLY the cues. No track information. Open this with your preferred spreadsheet program to have full control how the cues are formatted.
- Google Earth KML:
- Only used in Google Earth, not compatible with any Garmin devices.
*eTrex, Oregon, GPX 6x series, and Montana series will have a folder called GPX.
Simply unplugging the device from your computer without ejecting it may result in corrupt data on the device.
The available file types and options:
Learn more about choosing a FIT, TCX, or GPX file.
Map and Elevation Images
Although not for navigation, they are handy for putting together route info and web pages for your rides.by