Plan on adventuring into an area with limited or no cell-phone network? Learn how to navigate your route with the OFFLINE MAPS feature where you can pre-download the route and map tiles before heading out.
Android user? See our Offline Map – Android instructions.
IMPORTANT: Keep the screen on and stay in the app
When downloading the route and map tiles for offline use, you will need to keep the screen on and stay in the app until it is finished. If you leave the app screen at all, then the maps will not finish downloading.
- How to make a map available for offline use
- Navigating an offline route
- Conserving battery tips
- Downloading multiple routes for Events
- Frequently Asked Questions
- If you want to see your route’s download progress, tap the “download” button again, and you will see a download status bar. A WiFi connection is fastest, but the app will use your cellular network if no WiFi is present. Tap the pause button if you don’t want to download yet. Tap again to resume.
Now that you have the route and map downloaded, it’s time to start navigating:
- From the app home screen, tap the Routes tab on the bottom of the screen, and then tap Offline in the top right of the routes screen.
- You can also access and navigate your downloaded routes by tapping the drawer icon in the upper left corner of the app screen and then selecting Available Offline.
Keep the screen off as much as possible and listen for the audio cues. The screen is the number 1 use of battery time on your phone, keeping the screen off will extend battery run-time from a couple of hours to over 12+ hours on most devices. Some riders use headphones with only one ear-bud while others use bluetooth speakers that are waterproof so they can keep their phone tucked away.
Turn off un-needed wireless tech.Most devices will allow you to turn off each wireless technology separately. Turn off Wifi, Bluetooth, and turn off cellular data.
When you are ready to ride but know you will be in an area without cellular coverage, go to the home screen of your phone, Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data OFF. Tap the slider so it is no longer green.
Use a dynamo hub and USB charging system. Several manufacturers like SineWave Cycles, Schmidt, and SuperNova make USB chargers that connect to your dynamo hub. These work great to keep your phone topped off on the longest of rides but you will still need to keep your screen turned off as the current provided by these chargers is not quite enough to charge the battery and keep the screen on the entire time.
- Tap the menu icon in the upper right corner.
- Select DOWNLOAD ALL
- You’ll be taken to the AVAILABLE OFFLINE section of the app and have all the routes queued up for download.
- Can I change the downloaded map view to be Satellite or Topograhic?
- At this time the map type is restricted to RWGPS which is based on the Open Street Maps data.
- What is the range of the offline map tiles?
- The maps will download for the entire length of the route and about a screen’s width from the route. This will give you enough map to get back on track should you miss a turn or want to explore a bit.
- Can I just download an entire state/country?
- Technically yes as long as you have routes that cover an entire state and have downloaded all these routes.
- How do I delete an Offline Map?
- When viewing your list of AVAILABLE OFFLINE maps, just tap the trashcan icon. Tapping the trash for Offline Maps, only deletes the downloaded content, it does NOT delete the original route.
- How much data will this use?
- The data usage in downloading a map will vary depending on the length and geographic coverage of a route. A typical 60 mile route will take about 20MB of space. With a broadband connection speed, the download should only take a couple of minutes, but make sure to wait until it says “Download Complete” before starting navigation or activating Airplane Mode.
- How do I update downloaded maps?
- Viewing the updated route on your device while you are connect to cellular or wifi will automatically update the route that you have downloaded.