Riding through a spectacular mountain range? Rolling through picturesque farm roads? Using the Ride With GPS app, you can snap a photo, and it will be geotagged and automatically uploaded to the website along with your ride.
This feature is an excellent way to supplement a story and interact with riders, sharing your amazing scenic ride, bike tour, or a spin to your favorite coffee shop with friends.
- App Photo Settings
- Live Logging Photo Settings
- Taking Photos From Within the App
- View Photos in the App
- Adding Photos
- Sharing Photos
- View Photos on the website
App Photo Settings
Let’s go through the app settings as they relate to taking photos.
- Tap the menu ( ) icon in the upper left corner.
- Go to SETTINGS
- then LOGGING
Find photos from Rides (iPhone)FIND PHOTOS TAKEN OUTSIDE OF APP (Android), . With this option checked, any photos taken with another app or the device’s camera will be added to the ride. This is useful if you use your camera to take several photos in succession, or take a panorama shot.
UPLOAD PHOTOS OVER WI-FI ONLY. You have the option of uploading photos over wifi only. This will help you avoid any data-overage charges from your cellular network.
PHOTO UPLOAD SIZE, Changing this option will determine the photo quality and size of the upload. The app defaults to HIGH which is great for the web, but change this to FULL if you want the full resolution and 100% photo. WARNING: Uploading full-sized photos over will be considerably larger and take up network data usage. You’ll want to use UPLOAD OVER WIFI ONLY with full uploads.
Premium and Basic subscribers can take advantage of a feature to automatically upload photos while Live Logging.
SYNC PHOTOS WHILE LIVE LOGGING. This will use your cellular network connection to upload each picture as you use Live Logging. Turn this feature off if you do not want to use any network data during your ride.
If you enable this option, this will upload photos while Live Logging even if you have Upload Over WiFi Only enabled.
You can take photos while in the Ride with GPS app, but we recommend using your preferred camera app as it will have more options.
iPhone Only: If you want to guarantee Geo-Tagging for your photos, please use your preferred phone’s camera app to take photos.
After you’ve started recording a ride, tap the camera icon in the lowerright corner (if you have landscape mode enabled, the camera icon will be in the lowerleft corner).
When you are done with your ride, long press the record button to pause, tap the check-mark to finish. Then, you will be prompted to name your ride (optional), set privacy, select your gear, and preview the photos taken during the ride.
By default, each photo will be selected. If you do not wish a photo to be uploaded, tap the photo to unselect it.
When you are done naming your ride and selecting which photos you want to upload, tap the SAVE in the upper righthand corner to finish the upload process.
Photos to be uploaded will have a blue circle with a white check mark, while photos that have been uploaded while Live Logging will have the Live Logging icon in the corner.
While viewing any ride or route, you can change the name, description, privacy, gear, and add photos.
- Select a Ride
- Menu > Edit
- Tap under the RIDE PHOTOS, it may say “X selected”, X being the number of photos found with the same time as the recorded ride.
- Tap to select or deselect photos to be uploaded. A blue check-mark for photos to be uploaded. An orange icon will appear in the corner for photos that have already been uploaded via Live Logging.
- Press ADD to finish your photo selection.
- Tap SAVE to finish adding the photos and save any changes you may have made to the ride/route name, details, privacy, or gear.
The number of selected photos to be uploaded will be displayed at the bottom.
- As the photos upload, a status bar will appear.
- On iPhone, every time I leave the app the photo uploads don’t finish, why not?
- On iPhone, you must stay within the app until the photo uploads finish. You can be navigating, recording, or just browsing the app, but it will only upload as long as you are in it.
- Is there a limit the to the number of photos I can upload per ride?
- There is no limit for the number of photos per ride. We recommend connecting to a Wifi network before uploading so that you don’t eat up your cellular data plan.
- My photos have started uploading, how do I pause them?
- On iPhone, go to to the app drawer > settings > pause uploads. Then when you are ready to start uploading, un-pause this setting.
- How do I hide photos on my ride that I don’t want to share?
- Ride photos share the same privacy setting as the ride they were uploaded. Change the privacy of your ride to either Friends Only or Private to keep your photos from the public.
The upper half will display all the photos that were found to be taken during the time of the ride. The bottom half is all the photos on your phone.
When viewing a photo in the app, you can also share it on Facebook and other social networks by tapping the share icon at the top of the screen.
View Photos on the website
After a ride and its photos have been uploaded to the site, you will see a thumbnail in the right side panel when viewing the ride. Clicking on the thumbnail will expand the photo where you can add a caption, rotate, delete, or share the photo. Each photo that has been geotagged will show up as a black dot along the route.