Navigation Settings and Demo
This video walks you through checking your navigation settings and demonstrates the turn-by-turn voice navigation in action with a custom cue at the end. Although demonstrated on the iPhone, changing the settings and starting navigation on Android is the same. Any differences are noted in the text and screenshots below.
First, let’s check the navigation settings in the mobile app to make sure all the audible cues are enabled.
- Tap the icon in the upper left corner of the app screen to bring up the app drawer.
- Tap SETTINGS
- Then NAVIGATION
All the navigation settings will be enabled by default, but you can disable them to meet your needs.
- Advance Cue warnings – Announce next cue after completion.
Right after you complete a turn, if your next cue is some distance away the app will say “Turn left in a quarter mile”
- Nearing cue warnings – Account cues when approaching.
As you approach a turn, the app will let chime in around 10-12 seconds before the cue depending on how fast you are riding.
- Visual Alerts – Show cues over the map.
This option will show the cue description in a box just over the map. Turn this option off to prevent the cue description from showing.
- Audio Alerts – Emit beeps to announce cues.
Turn this option off to eliminate all chimes indicating cues and warnings.
- Spoken Alerts – Speak directions from cues.
The app will use the phone’s text-to-voice to read the cues back to you. Disable this option to turn off the voice cues.
- Off-course alerts – Play warning tone when off/on route. When you go off-course, the app will continue to chime at you every two minutes as a reminder that you are off course. Tap the X in the corner of the off-course notification to turn off this reminder.
- Handlebar Mode (Android Only) This feature allows the app to turn the screen on without having to unlock your device while navigating. Keeping the screen off as much as possible is a huge battery saver. Activate Handlebar Mode while recording a ride or using turn-by-turn navigation.
- Screen On for Cues: The screen will turn on when nearing a turn. It will turn off automatically depending on your system setting.
- Keep Screen On: You can set it to Never, Only when Navigating, or Always On. Keeping the screen on all the time will drain the most battery power.
- Lock Orientation: By default, the app will automatically rotate. This option will lock it in either Portrait or Landscape mode.
If you want to see the cue again, press the home button to turn on the screen.
The cue can be dismissed by swiping it and it will go away automatically after you have passed the cue.
Elevation profile and cues
Off Course Notification
If you wander off course then the app will give you a notification. It will give you a prompt as to the direction and distance to get yourself back to the course from where you left it.
- You must be recording a ride to use navigation. After you are finished riding you may opt to delete the ride or save it.
- Custom Cues entered into the route using the Planning tool will be spoken during navigation.