The eTrex 20 and 30 is a sturdy GPS unit that is great for all sorts of uses. It runs off of AA batteries so you never have to worry about charging the device or not being able to keep it powered on multi-day tours.
Although there are a couple of feature differences between the two models, the configuration and use of tracks is exactly the same.
Exporting a route to the eTrex
After planning a route on our website, you’ll want to export the route to use on the eTrex 20 & 30.
- While viewing any route, click on the Export tab in the right side panel, then click GPX Track.
- If you are a Premium or Basic subscriber, click the option to have the cues exported as a waypoints.
- Plug in your eTrex 20 or 30 to your computer with a USB cable.
- Copy the exported file into the GPX folder on the device.
We recommend the following settings for your eTrex 20/30 for an optimal navigation experience.
- Tap the Menu Button on the left side, then select Change Data Fields:
- DISTANCE TO NEXT – This will tell you how far to the next waypoint.
- WAYPOINT AT NEXT – This will tell you which cue is next.
A couple of pointers about the eTrex.
- Lithium AA batteries are expensive but will last much longer especially in colder conditions.
- The screen will stay on, but you can turn of the backlight to save power. Tap the light/power button to see the backlight settings, then use the thumbstick to move the backlight brightness slider all the way to the left.